Why Cloud-Based Permitting Makes Sense
SMARTGOV Cloud-Based Services on Amazon
SMARTGOV is a software-as-a-service (SaaS) cloud-based permitting system, hosted on Amazon Web Services (AWS).
Moving your permitting system to the cloud offers critical advantages. Cloud-based permitting allows you to focus on your business instead of your infrastructure.
- Less expensive upfront: Online permitting means less investment in hardware servers, racks, connectivity, etc.
- Less expensive maintenance: Onling permitting takes less IT time and money spent on upgrades, security, backups, etc.
- Data Center Security: Amazon Web Services (AWS) utilizes both physical and virtual security systems to protect data and applications loaded into the cloud. State-of-the-art surveillance, multi-factor access control systems, 24/7 security staffing, environmental systems, and multiple geographic locations add up to AWS’s renowned resilience against natural disasters or system failures. Your jurisdiction’s data and your citizens’ data is safe and stable.
- Data privacy: Complete customer privacy and segregation are ensured by the AWS virtual infrastructure. Data is protected by extensive network and security monitoring systems. AWS security systems provide the important basic security measures such as password brute-force detection on AWS Accounts and distributed denial of service (DDoS) protection. AWS security includes secure customer access points, built-in firewalls, and encrypted data storage.
- For more information about AWS security, see our white paper “Open government and cost savings 7 key benefits of using the Web and Cloud technologies for local government“.
- Reliability: Amazon has an outstanding record of always-on reliability, with 99.99% availability of service. Their uptime is consistently tested as the best in the industry.
- Scale up or down: Costs and reliability are stable even as your traffic increases or decreases.
- Redundancy & Recovery: Through Amazon Web Services, SMARTGOV provides tools for fast disaster recovery with a tapeless, offsite, multi-copy storage solution based in secured facilities designed for 99.99% durability and uptime.
- Seamless Maintenance: Cloud-based hosting allows SMARTGOV to maintain software behind scenes, without any further investment or time from your IT team. New features and upgrades, hot fixes, DBA, security updates, real-time back-ups, and disaster recovery procedures happen seamlessly without downtime.
- Always Improving: SMARTGOV’s SaaS model allows for constant iterative improvements. New features can be added without any upgrades or actions on your end. SMARTGOV’s hosted service for online permitting is always the latest, best version.
- Cloud First: Government agencies from the Federal to state and local have developed policies recommending cloud solutions take precedence over on-site services. The White House CIO’s research identified Cloud First as essential to improving IT efficiency, as part of a strategic plan in 2010. Many states are following suit, with mandates to find cloud solutions first before investing in more data centers.
SMARTGOV leverages AWS’s tools to optimize performance.
- CloudWatch allows SMARTGOV to proactively monitor resource utilization, application performance, and operational health. We use these insights to react and keep SMARTGOV running smoothly.
- Elastic Compute Cloud, known as EC2, SMARTGOV is able to scale in response demand throughout the day.
- Simple Storage Service (S3) on AWS allows ever-expanding data storage in the cloud. S3 provides SMARTGOV with Secure, durable, highly-scalable data that will automatically expand to keep up with your growth.
Learn more about Cloud Computing on AWS’s site with complete features, specifications and service level agreements.
Call Paladin Data Systems at 877-367-4572 for more information and a free quote. Contact us to set up a demo. Learn more about how SMARTGOV can streamline your online permitting, licensing and code enforcment: